You can ask any runner you meet why s/he runs. You can get as many answers as respondents because the benefits of running are countless. Whether for health, wellness, weight loss or performance, everyone can find the right fit in this sport. Both physically and psychologically, this activity is good for your body, even more so if running is combined with a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
These are the five rules to stay fit all year.
1 – Run on a regular basis
For your health, it is recommended to engage in regular sport activities. Because it is easy to do, running is the ideal activity to meet this criteria. How? Run 2 to 3 times a week. Remember that it is not the distance travelled that is important, but the duration of the run and the regularity of the sessions.
Start by running 10 to 15 minutes twice a week, and increase this time gradually.
2 – Eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet is essential to stay in peak condition. But to do so, you need to know what to eat.
A balanced diet is built over several meals. Breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner give rhythm to your day and provide all the nutrients you need for proper body function:
- Proteins should account for 11 to 15 % of your daily diet. They play many roles in the body, including muscle construction and repair, which is interesting after workout.
- Carbohydrates should account for 50 % of your daily intake. Their role is to provide energy to the body.
- Lipids should account for 25 – 30% of your daily intake. Among other things, they provide energy, which can be used immediately or stored in fat cells.
3 – Set up a balanced day!
- Starchy foods (pasta, rice, semolina, potatoes, bread...), must be part of every meal to provide energy.
- Meat, fish, eggs: once or twice a day to provide protein.
- Fruits and vegetables: 2 to 3 fruits every day and vegetables at every meal for vitamins, fibre and water intake.
- Dairy products: 2 to 3 per day for protein and calcium intake.
- Fats: They should be limited, but not excluded. They provide lipids and vitamins
- Sugary products: They should be limited, but not excluded. They provide pleasure.
- Water: Drink as much as you like.
And what about vitamins and minerals?
Do not forget them. They do not provide energy but they play an essential role in proper body function. Our body cannot produce them, so they need to be supplied through diet. A balanced diet will cater for your needs.
4 – Take the time to eat
When you start eating, the feeling of satiety comes belatedly. It takes about 20 minutes to feel the signal for satisfaction. Therefore, taking 30 minutes to eat your meal slowly may prevent overeating! Many studies have demonstrated that eating too fast may increase the risk of weight gain.
5 - Sufficiently hydrate your body
Hydration is crucial to proper body balance. Water plays an essential role in the body cells function. It is also capital to regulate the body temperature and to eliminate body wastes produced during workouts.
The body can lose 0.5 to 1 litre of water through sweat during workout. It can reach up to 3 litres if you exercise in hot weather. Hence the importance of compensating for this water loss in order to prevent dehydration. It is considered that 0.5 litre of water or of another drink is required per hour walk.