Whether it is health, well-being, weight loss or just the quest for performance, everyone can find something to enjoy at the gym. Exercise is beneficial to the body, both physically and psychologically, and even more when it is combined with a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
These are the five rules to stay fit all year.
1 – Work out on a regular basis
For your health, it is recommended to engage in regular sport activities. Being very accessible, gyms are ideal to meet this criteria. How? Work out 2 or 3 times a week. Remember that what matters is not the number of workouts, but more the quality of the sessions: duration and regularity.
2 – Eat a balanced diet
A balanced diet is essential to stay in peak condition. But to do so, you need to know what to eat.
A balanced diet is built over several meals. Breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner give rhythm to your day and provide all the nutrients you need for proper body function:
- Proteins should account for 11 to 15 % of your daily diet. They play many roles in the body, including muscle construction and repair, which is interesting after workout.
- Carbohydrates should account for 50 % of your daily intake. Their role is to provide energy to the body.
- Lipids should account for 25 – 30% of your daily intake. Among other things, they provide energy, which can be used immediately or stored in fat cells.
3 – Plan your day!
- Starch foods (pasta, rice, semolina, potatoes, bread, etc.), should be included to every meal to ensure energy intake.
- Meat, fish, eggs: once or twice a day to provide protein.
- Fruits and vegetables: 2 to 3 fruits every day and vegetables at every meal for vitamins, fibre and water intake.
- Dairy products: 2 to 3 per day for protein and calcium intake.
- Fats: They should be limited, but not excluded. They provide lipids and vitamins
- Sugary foods: They should be limited, but not excluded. They provide pleasure.
- Water: Drink as much as you like.
And what about vitamins and minerals?
Do not forget them. They do not provide energy but they play an essential role in proper body function. Our body cannot produce them, so they need to be supplied through diet. A balanced diet will cater for your needs.
4 – Take the time to eat
When you start eating, the feeling of satiety comes belatedly. It takes about 20 minutes to feel the signal for satisfaction. Therefore, taking 30 minutes to eat your meal slowly may prevent overeating! Many studies have demonstrated that eating too fast may increase the risk of weight gain.
5 – Stay properly hydrated
Hydration is crucial to proper body balance. Water plays an essential role in the body cells function. It is also capital to regulate the body temperature and to eliminate body wastes produced during workouts.
The body can lose 0.5 to 1 litre of water through sweat during workout. It can reach up to 3 litres if you exercise in hot weather. Hence the importance of compensating for this water loss in order to prevent dehydration. It is considered that 0.5 litre of water or of another drink is required per hour of workout.
To stay healthy, you need to combine physical activity with a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. A balanced diet guarantees an adequate intake of all the nutrients that your body needs. It is a daily task that is inevitable if you want to stay fit.
These are the five rules to stay fit all year